Friday, January 04, 2008

The Virtue of Hope

Recently, I have been struggling with discouragement, so I did some reading about hope. I found St. Thomas Aquinas' Summa Theologica to be insightful albeit exceptionally hard-to-read. In the end I relied on Father Davis' digest on the topic in order to help me to grasp it. In short, hope is not just a good thing to have; rather, it is a virtue. As such, it is under volitional control and the non-practice of hope constitutes a sin. Here is the big picture breakdown of how to be at fault with respect to the virtue of hope:
  1. We may sin against the virtue of hope by omission. "We deliberately fail to elicit an act of hope when we ought to do so". And when does this requirement kick in? When a Christian "comes to the use of reason, and the reality of God's existence and man's destiny are sufficiently apprehended ... he must consciously wish to attain to his destiny." I like this although I might change destiny to since created end since for me destiny carries with it the notion of impersonal fate. And of course, that created end is "to glorify God by enjoying him forever" (Piper).
  2. We may sin against the virtue of hope by commission in three ways:
    1. By "turning from God as from one's own Supreme Good and turning to creatures instead." This is called aversion to God.
    2. By deliberately yet falsely judging "that either God does not want to save us, or that He cannot do so in view of our sins, or that He is not ready to give us sufficient graces for salvation." This is the sin of despair.
    3. By having "an unfounded expectation of obtaining eternal happiness and the means necessary for it in ways other than God has willed". This is called the sin of presumption.
In another post, I may want to talk about the sins of commission, but here I want to inspire myself and other readers to "consciously wish to attain" your created end. I will do this by sharing with you the Scriptures and hymn lyrics that most inspire me to desire God:

You make known to me the path of life;
in your presence there is fullness of joy;
at your right hand are pleasures forevermore. (Ps. 16:11)

One thing have I asked of Yahweh,
that will I seek after:
that I may dwell in the house of Yahweh
all the days of my life,
to gaze upon the beauty of Yahweh
and to inquire in his temple. (Ps 27:4)

Oh, taste and see that Yahweh is good!
Blessed is the man who takes refuge in him! (Ps 34:8)

How precious is your steadfast love, O God!
The children of mankind take refuge in the shadow of your wings.
They feast on the abundance of your house,
and you give them drink from the river of your delights.
For with you is the fountain of life;
in your light do we see light. (Ps 36:7-9)

Delight yourself in Yahweh,
and he will give you the desires of your heart. (Ps 37:4)

As a deer pants for flowing streams,
so pants my soul for you, O God.
My soul thirsts for God,
for the living God.
When shall I come and appear before God? (Ps 42:1-2)

Then I will go to the altar of God,
to God my exceeding joy,
and I will praise you with the lyre,
O God, my God. (Ps 43:4)

O God, you are my God; earnestly I seek you;
my soul thirsts for you;
my flesh faints for you,
as in a dry and weary land where there is no water.
So I have looked upon you in the sanctuary,
beholding your power and glory.
Because your steadfast love is better than life,
my lips will praise you.
So I will bless you as long as I live;
in your name I will lift up my hands. (Ps 63:1-4)

How lovely is your dwelling place,
O Yahweh of hosts!
My soul longs, yes, faints
for the courts of Yahweh;
my heart and flesh sing for joy
to the living God.
For a day in your courts is better
than a thousand elsewhere.
I would rather be a doorkeeper in the house of my God
than dwell in the tents of wickedness. (Ps 84:1-2, 10)

How sweet are your words to my taste,
sweeter than honey to my mouth! (Ps 119:103)

What no eye has seen, nor ear heard,
nor the heart of man imagined,
what God has prepared for those who love him. (1 Cor 2. 9)

Or this hymn by Timothy Dudley-Smith:

God is my great desire,
His face I seek the first;
To him my heart and soul aspire,
For him I thirst.
As one in desert lands,
Whose very flesh is flame,
In burning love I lift my hands
And bless his name.

God is my true delight,
My richest feast his praise,
Through silent watches of the night,
Through all my days.
To him my spirit clings,
On him my soul is cast;
Beneath the shadow of his wings
He holds me fast.

God is my strong defense
In every evil hour;
In him I face with confidence
The tempter's power.
I trust his mercy sure,
With truth and triumph crowned;
My hope and joy for ever more
In him are found.

Or this hymn by Johann Crüger:

Jesus, priceless Treasure,
Source of purest pleasure,
Truest Friend to me.
Ah, how long in anguish
Shall my spirit languish,
Yearning, Lord, for Thee?
Thou art mine, O Lamb divine!
I will suffer naught to hide Thee,
Naught I ask beside Thee.

In Thine arms I rest me;
Foes who would molest me
Cannot reach me here.
Though the earth be shaking,
Every heart be quaking,
Jesus calms my fear.
Lightnings flash and thunders crash;
Yet, though sin and hell assail me,
Jesus will not fail me.

Satan, I defy thee;
Death, I now decry thee;
Fear, I bid thee cease.
World, thou shalt not harm me
Nor thy threats alarm me
While I sing of peace.
God's great power guards every hour;
Earth and all its depths adore Him,
Silent bow before Him.

Evil world, I leave thee;
Thou canst not deceive me,
Thine appeal is vain.
Sin that once did bind me,
Get thee far behind me,
Come not forth again.
Past thy hour, O pride and power;
Sinful life, thy bonds I sever,
Leave thee now forever.

Hence, all thought of sadness!
For the Lord of gladness,
Jesus, enters in.
Those who love the Father,
Though the storms may gather,
Still have peace within;
Yea, whatever we here must bear,
Still in Thee lies purest pleasure,
Jesus, priceless Treasure!

Or this hymn by Edward Caswell:

Jesus, the very thought of Thee
With sweetness fills the breast;
But sweeter far Thy face to see,
And in Thy presence rest.

Nor voice can sing, nor heart can frame,
Nor can the memory find
A sweeter sound than Thy blest Name,
O Savior of mankind!

O hope of every contrite heart,
O joy of all the meek,
To those who fall, how kind Thou art!
How good to those who seek!

But what to those who find? Ah, this
Nor tongue nor pen can show;
The love of Jesus, what it is,
None but His loved ones know.

Jesus, our only joy be Thou,
As Thou our prize will be;
Jesus be Thou our glory now,
And through eternity.

O Jesus, King most wonderful
Thou Conqueror renowned,
Thou sweetness most ineffable
In Whom all joys are found!

When once Thou visitest the heart,
Then truth begins to shine,
Then earthly vanities depart,
Then kindles love divine.

O Jesus, light of all below,
Thou fount of living fire,
Surpassing all the joys we know,
And all we can desire.

Jesus, may all confess Thy Name,
Thy wondrous love adore,
And, seeking Thee, themselves inflame
To seek Thee more and more.

Thee, Jesus, may our voices bless,
Thee may we love alone,
And ever in our lives express
The image of Thine own.

O Jesus, Thou the beauty art
Of angel worlds above;
Thy Name is music to the heart,
Inflaming it with love.

Celestial Sweetness unalloyed,
Who eat Thee hunger still;
Who drink of Thee still feel a void
Which only Thou canst fill.

O most sweet Jesus, hear the sighs
Which unto Thee we send;
To Thee our inmost spirit cries;
To Thee our prayers ascend.

Abide with us, and let Thy light
Shine, Lord, on every heart;
Dispel the darkness of our night;
And joy to all impart.

Jesus, our love and joy to Thee,
The virgin's holy Son,
All might and praise and glory be,
While endless ages run.

Or this hymn by Ray Palmer:

Jesus, Thou Joy of loving hearts,
Thou Fount of life, Thou Light of men,
From the best bliss that earth imparts,
We turn unfilled to Thee again.

Thy truth unchanged hath ever stood;
Thou savest those that on Thee call;
To them that seek Thee Thou art good,
To them that find Thee all in all.

We taste Thee, O Thou living Bread,
And long to feast upon Thee still;
We drink of Thee, the Fountainhead,
And thirst our souls from Thee to fill.

Our restless spirits yearn for Thee,
Wherever our changeful lot is cast;
Glad when Thy gracious smile we see,
Blessed when our faith can hold Thee fast.

O Jesus, ever with us stay,
Make all our moments calm and bright;
Chase the dark night of sin away,
Shed over the world Thy holy light.

No comments: