Sunday, January 27, 2008

Flight to the US

My flight from HK to LAX was probably the most uncomfortable international one that I have ever undertaken. Observations:
  • When I bought the ticket, United offered an upgrade to get more leg room. It was just $100 more, but I did not consider it since I was focused on conserving money. I repent of that decision and will gladly pay the extra money next time.
  • When I went through security, they confiscated my water, which I expected. But I made the incorrect assumption that if I bought more water afterward, then I could take that onto the plane. It seems reasonable that since I cannot buy gasoline on the secure side of security, any liquids that I bring onto the plane would be copacetic. Nothing could be further from the truth. As I am boarding the plane, everyone's bags are searched again, and my new water is again confiscated. I was dejected. The situation might have been redeemable if upon entry everyone was given a 2-liter bottle of water to meet the needs of a 12 hour flight, but that was not the case. Instead, they dispensed it molecule by molecule over the course of the flight while my lips became inflamed and brittle from dehydration over the course of the flight.
  • I developed a piercing headache, probably due to dehydration. All of my hopes to memorize Chinese Scripture on the plane got tossed to the wind because I was in so much discomfort.
  • I specifically request an aisle seat so that I could frequently get out to pee without inconveniencing anyone. When I got to my seat, someone had hijacked it. She was rather corpulent, so I opined that she probably could use the convenience more than I, so I never said anything. Instead I entered into the inner bondage. After four hours, I just had to ask her to get up so that I could get out. She must have an amazing bladder. It was not until 8 hours into the flight that she finally got up to go the toilet. I took advantage of it, and went myself. Later on, I had to ask one more time for her to get up.
  • I will commend the food. When I bought the ticket, I had the option to mark any special food needs. There were about 20 options. It was impressive. Not just "vegetarian", but about 6 varieties of vegetarian. I selected "Indian vegetarian". The Indian food they brought was quite tasty. Speaking of Indian food, I was in Hong Kong for three days; I ate Indian food three times. I ate it twice on the plane. I ate it my first meal in California. I am really into it. I missed it so much in China. There is one Indian restaurant in Xiamen, but it is sooooooooooo expensive that I only go twice a year.



--
Check out my blog: http://uncut-jade.blogspot.com/

No comments: