Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Lie 3

Lie: The principle of cause and effect does not apply in my life: seeking God has no positive effect; indulging the flesh has no negative effect.


Truth: Every decision has consequences, both in this life and in the life to come.


Scripture: "Do not be deceived: God is not mocked, for whatever one sows, that will he also reap. For the one who sows to his own flesh will from the flesh reap corruption, but the one who sows to the Spirit will from the Spirit reap eternal life. And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up." (Galatians 6:7-9)


Explanation: This verse has both a positive and negative aspect. First the negative. I noticed the following attitude sneaking into my heart: "If I know a lie but have not documented it yet, then I am not accountable for it. Also, there are so many lies from which to choose. As a result, I will be able keep practicing my favorite lies for a long time since at one-per-day I can conveniently document them much later." When I realized it, I decided that this was a pretty destructive lie that threatened the efficacy of this whole exercise.


On the positive side, I also still questioned whether this or any exercise would yield any fruit since I continue to have this nagging voice that says, "It does not matter what you do to draw near to God; it will all be without effect." But the truth is that I will reap if I do not grow weary and give up.

2 comments:

Maria Kirby said...

Thank you for being so vulnerable. I am encouraged to see that you are facing your fears. It is much easier to defeat the lies of Satan when they are named.

Philip Hallstrom said...

Thanks, Maria. I hope that my facing of fears ends up to be real and not just another good intention.