Monday, May 19, 2008

Lie 2: Indomitable Weakness

Lie: My weaknesses are more powerful than God's grace.


Truth: God anticipates and takes steps in advance to compensate for my weaknesses.


Scripture: "For God has done what the law, weakened by the flesh, could not do. By sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh and for sin, he condemned sin in the flesh, in order that the righteous requirement of the law might be fulfilled in us" (Romans 8:3-4).


"For while we were still weak, at the right time Christ died for the ungodly" (Romans 5:6).


Explanation: This is related to Lie 1 but focuses in on the cause of my committing an unpardonable sin, namely, that I am weak-willed. I sense that there is a family of lies surrounding the word weak. This truth establishes that regardless how weak I am, it does not take God by surprise. Rather, his redemptive provisions take it into account. The fear of indomitable weakness leads me not to try to grow in my relationship with God since I perceive that it is ultimately hopeless.

No comments: